Wednesday, June 4, 2008

More Musings

Okay, so every time I come visit this part of my blog life, I look at the title and say, "Hmmmm. Bull Run Writings. There isn't much writing here. Photos, yes. Kids art, yes. Writing, not really." Most of my writing is on the Poetry and Polemics blog. Both blogs are part of my fun little network called "Luxurious Choices."

Someone asked me what that name meant. If you've ever been to the Luxurious Choices home page and clicked on "about us" then you know the name came from my previous attempt to sell things like Mary Kay and Avon...you know, luxuries. But it's really difficult to get businesses like that going, especially if you don't do it full time, aren't into sales, and forget to collect money. Besides that, I always wanted to give my friends my discounts because I felt bad not passing my savings on to them. So this obviously was not the business for me to be in.

I "chose" to get out of that biz and work more on my writing, which is a "luxury" all its own. But as I wrote and got out more into the community, it became more apparent that we have choices all around us and that the worst choice is to close our eyes to these. Democracy--that's a choice. Values--those are choices. How we want to spend our time--choices. What we want our lives to mean--choices. What legacies we want to leave--choices. But what if we ignore all these choices? What happens then?

Feeling trapped is one of the most debilitating conditions we can ever have put on us or impose on ourselves. When we feel trapped, we make poor decisions or no decisions. When we believe we are out of choices, we panic and do things we might never do, and they are usually not productive things if they are based solely in panic.

So having choices and recognizing them really is a luxury. Hence the name. http://www.luxuriouschoices.net/

Here's to the luxuries of life! May we appreciate and contemplate every choice we have.

"The strongest principal of growth lies in human choice."

-George Eliot

No comments: